Publications about Karl Martz
* Photographs of work included.
- 1940: page 17 of an unknown newspaper,
description of Karl Martz and his pottery by Ernie Pyle
in his column Traveling.
- *1954: page 158 in Encyclopedia Britannica Yearbook, 1954 --
Events of 1953
- *1957: page 27 in Ceramic Reference Manual, Glenn C. Nelson,
Burgess Publishing Co., Minneapolis.
- *1958: page 35 in Ceramic Decoration, Lois Culver Long,
American Art Clay Co., Indianapolis.
- *1958: Craft Horizons XVIII(4), April.
- *1958: page 6 in Ceramics Monthly, 6(4), April.
- *1960: page 14 in Ceramics, Glenn C. Nelson, Holt Rinehart & Winston.
- *1962: Clay Today, a portfolio from an exhibition of the same
name, State University of Iowa, Iowa City.
- *1967: Crafts -- 1967, a catalog from an exhibition of the same
name. Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- *1968: A biographical article, pages 12-17 in Ceramics Monthly,
- *1969: Ceramic Art in America, a portfolio from the exhibition
"Twenty-five Years of Art in Clay -- USA", Scripps College, Claremont CA.
- *1971: page 194 in Ceramics, A Potter's Handbook, 3rd Edition,
Glenn C. Nelson, Holt Rinehart & Winston.
- *1974: Indiana Stoneware, a catalog from an exhibition of the
same name, Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- 1976: Who's Who in American Art.
- *1977: Karl Martz -- Potter -- Retrospective, catalog from
an exhibition of the same name at the time of Karl's retirement from
teaching, Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington.
- *1977: Karl Martz Retrospective, pp. 27-34,
Ceramics Monthly, 25(5), May 1977.
Includes 8 color and 11 black and white large photographs
of Karl's pots, spanning 1934-1976.
- *1978: page 230 and color plate 4 in History of American Ceramics --
The Studio Potter, Paul S. Donhauser, Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.,
- 1980: Dictionary of International Biography.
- *1981: page 102 and 8th color plate in Electric Kiln Ceramics,
Richard Zakin, Chilton, Radnor PA.
- *1988: page 193 in The History of American Ceramics, Elaine
Levin, Harry N. Abrams, NY.
- 1988: Lehner's Encyclopedia of U. S. Marks on Pottery, Porcelain,
- *1989: page 150 in American Ceramics, the collection of the
Everson Museum, Rizzoli NY.
- *1991: biographical article, page 46 in Studio Potter, 19(2).
- *1992: page C16 in Studio Potter: 20th Anniversary Collection.
(Karl was 80 years old!)
- *2009: Book Clay Times Three by Kathy McKimmie. See
description and cover.
Exhibit explores Karl Martz, IU legacy,
an illustrated article by Kathy McKimmie in the
Publications authored by Karl Martz
Films by Karl Martz
A series of six black and white, professionally narrated films produced by the (then)
Indiana University Audio-Visual Center 1948-1954
Craftsmanship in Clay. These have been digitized and can be streamed
from the links below. Each film is 11 minutes long.
In 1975, Indiana University produced the 25 min color film
Possibilities in Clay, in which, while working
in their respective studios, Karl Martz, Tom and Ginny Marsh, Kathy
Salchow and John Goodheart each speak about ceramics in their own voices.